Monday, February 1, 2010

Good Junk Food

One of my hobbies is running long-distance races. I do it partly because of the experience and partly for the food I eat afterward. I have done several of these races, and dozens of training runs along the way and have experimented with the recovery food I eat afterward. Most often it's pizza, sometimes a salad (blah) and other times it's pasta--like a reverse carbo-load. This past weekend I ran a race in Ocala, FL, and on our way out of town we were deciding what to eat. We landed at Five Guys.

At this point, I must insert that although I do love food and enjoy fine dining, I don't think all good food has to have a veil of pretention or be expensive to be delicious. I can find beauty in a foot-long all-beef hot dog at the ball park. Relish, please!

And this brings us to the burger place. Whenever I go to a Five Guys, it's crowded. I think that's a good thing. They must be doing something right. And this weekend was no exception. The place was packed with people dying to eat a fresh, customized burger. You can order a big (two 1/4 pound patties) or a little (one 1/4 pound patty) and you can choose from a whole host of yummy toppings at no extra charge. I ordered the little bacon cheeseburger with mayo, mustard, lettuce, pickles and grilled onions. Perfection. This is not diet food, people. Be prepared to run extra after eating this burger.

And a word about fries: they are the freshest around, straight from Idaho. They cut the potatoes right there in front of you and fry them to perfection. Malt vinegar on the side is a bonus.

If you're looking for good, inexpensive food fast, Five Guys is your place.

$

No comments:

Post a Comment